Since the launch of the touchscreen smartphone in 2007, there has been a lack of unique mobile phone designs. Technological advancements have allowed for customization and improvements to many aspects of our lives, why not the ergonomics and style of our phones?
Join The Cyrcle Phone movement by contributing a 3D design for The Cyrcle Phone 4G LTE Android 9 enclosure, and help make history! The Cyrcle Phone 4G LTE Android 9 is a device that encourages change. A mobile phone that doesn’t look like every other smartphone on the market. We believe your phone should be as unique as you. Which is why we’re inviting you to be a part of the process.
We’ve supplied you with some STL files with basic dimensions for the interior components and connectors that you’ll need to design around. We’ve even provided you with the current enclosure design prototype files. Your mission is to create an enclosure that’s both sleek and robust. There are three chances to win! The 3 winners of the competition will each be awarded a Creality Ender 3 PRO and get the opportunity to prototype with The Cyrcle Phone team to see their design come to life!
About The Cyrcle Phone
The Cyrcle Phone 4G LTE Android 9 is a smartphone with a mission. Our vision is to provide “Non-Rectangular Phones to Non-Rectangular People” starting with a device that fits better in your hand.
Our 2G prototype of The Cyrcle Phone was previously released via a successful Kickstarter campaign. Rewards included phones, classes, t-shirts, and videos, and were delivered to our Backers in less than 60 days!
Since then The Cyrcle Phone team has been working on the final version, The Cyrcle Phone 4G LTE Android 9. The hardware for the smartphone and drivers for the display, touchscreen, and camera were solidified in August 2019. Prototypes of the 4G models were displayed in 3D printed enclosures at CES in January 2020 and even reviewed by news outlets such as BBC and CNET.A pre-sale campaign will launch this year, offering a discounted rate for first-day backers (sign up for a launch alert here) and unique accessories. Final units will be available in 2021.
Submissions close July 31st so don’t delay! Good luck!Submit your design
The theme of this design challenge is to design a non-rectangular phone from the future, which is more ergonomic for the hand and/or pocket. Think about where your hand feels fatigue when you hold or text on your phone for a long time. Your creation might involve a non-slip design so that it is easier to keep the phone in your hand.
Once you have the right idea: design, print, test, and upload!
Best Exterior Prize: Creality Ender 3 PRO
Play with the design! The sky's the limit!
Best Interior Prize: Creality Ender 3 PRO
This prize is for the design that keeps the components inside safe, so that they are not sliding around inside. Show off your industrial engineering skills!
Best Durability Prize: Creality Ender 3 PRO
Does your model stay together when dropped from over 5 feet with 140 grams (= a bag of 16 pounds, 19 euros, or 25 quarters) inside?
Show off your mad snap-fit skills and/or your thorough screw knowledge!
(We currently use Phillips Flat Head Screws M1.6 x 0.35 mm Thread, 4mm Long)
Make sure to download the designer resource template of the interior components to ensure your design is compatible.
- Interior components: https://a360.co/3dwy5CX Password: MMF
- Current Enclosure Front: https://a360.co/3hCJ6EP Password: MMF
- Current Enclosure Back: https://a360.co/3hDmtzM Password: MMF
Tips For Success:
- Use 0.2 mm tolerances as spacing around the connectors, and any place where edges meet (ex: front half <0.2mm> back half).
- Strive to make the exterior width less than 104 mm across, so that it is comfortable to hold. Yet, it’s okay to make the enclosure taller, longer, or even thicker.
- It turns out that mimicking body parts is a little gross, but caricatures/cartoons can be absolutely adorable, and futuristic designs are fantastic. Go wild!
- There are two “floating” speakers (attached to long wires), which you can position where you desire. The top speaker is for the earpiece, and the bottom speaker is for external sound.
- Ditto for the two microphones – simply place an >1mm input hole for each where you wish.
- You are welcome to move the battery around.
Check out this awesome collection of creative phone cases!
So you want to win a design competition?
Here are some top tips to help you climb up the leader board:
- Think about your design(s) in relation to the brief and how best you might best optimise it for 3D printing.
- Make sure you download all designer resources so as to ensure you design for the right size components if you are not printing your own submission.
- Make sure to upload your design from the submit buttons provided in this page.
- Once your awesome design is approved, post it on twitter with #cyrclephone and #creality3d @MyMiniFactory @Cyrclephone @Creality3dprint
- Read and understand the design brief.
- Thinkabout how you can best deliver a solution.
- Use the tips, and resources provided.
- Explain the concept behind your design.
- Presentprint, and photograph your design with care.