Back in 2015, I did a hobby-project - a so-called "word clock". The front panel consists of a matrix of words, which are selectively highlighted to display the correct time. This very clock is up and running since. In 2019 I've decided to create a new version and to implement other languages. And here we are :)
Steps to follow
Refer the provided STEP model prior to printing or assembling the wordclock!
- Calibrate your 3D printer!
- Print frame and grid
- Snap them together
- Print 110 pcs of simplediffusor and snap them to grid
- Build and program the electronics
- Create the front panel (laser-cut or 3D print)1
- Glue the front panel to the frame
- Print the back panel
- Glue the back panel to the frame
1DXF files are not accepted by MyMiniFactory, so I've uploaded them to GitHub.
Arduino code and PCB design
Arduino code and the PCB design files are available at https://github.com/Balazzzska/OpenWordClock - currently, only an English version is available, Hungarian is being implemented. I look forward to implementing other languages, feel free to get in touch with me in case you want to collaborate. :)
- 1x PCB - see GitHub
- 110x 5mm LED (I regret using LTL2H3KEK, a wider angle LED would have been better)
- 1x Arduino Nano
- 3x 74HC595
- 10x 150Ω resistor
- 11x IRLML2502 (Any general-purpose N-Channel MOSFET should be OK)
This project is unfinished from certain points of view
- The oscillator of the Arduino Nano is not quite accurate, therefore an external RTC is needed. Will have DS1903 implemented.
- The PCB design contains 2 push buttons, for time-setting purposes - as of now, these buttons are not used yet. (The time setting is done via serial communication)
- Other languages than English. Hungarian is a work-in-progress.