The Thanator (Na'vi name: palulukan meaning "dry mouth bringer of fear") is a creature that lives on Pandora.
Although many regions of the moon have yet to be explored, xenobiologists currently believe that it may be the apex land predator on Pandora.
Reminiscent of a Terran panther, this enormous, powerful animal is unique in its ability to lord over its territory and strike fear into the largest and fiercest of Pandora's creatures.
Even the Na'vi, who are renowned for their courage, are shaken by the approach of the creature.
I've used this model for a university assignment using Zbrush and Maya. You can see on the turn table the wireframe, texturing and low poly version of my sculpt.
I sculpted this Thanator model entirely in Zbrush 4R6 and I did couple of renders of the final pose using Keyshot 5 and Zbrush BPR render.
My process is as follows:
- Make the base mesh in Zbrush
- Define primary and secondary forms
- Add details and do a presentation render in Keyshot 5
- Retopology and keeping the details: Zremesh, Project All
- Transpose Master Plugin: here the challenge
Once Thanator was posed only a few tests remained:
- Optimisation for 3D printing: test the mesh in Cura and Netfabb
- Rework on various angles of the model smoothing, adding details again and using Move and Dam Standard Brushes
- At the same time in this phase I tried to remove volume to the mesh , in particular on the bottom part
Result = Suport Free Thanator