This is a direct mount for the BMG (Bondtech or clone) extruders for the Maker Select/Wanhao i3/Cocoon Create/etc printer. I used a Dotbit Dual Drive Extruder from Amazon.
The Plus versions of this printer, with the screen, have a different X carriage bracket, someone will have to remix it for that.
This is a direct swap, no change in heated block or nozzle height.
- An aluminum spacer is needed between the heat block and the heatsink, or you have to bend the heatsink somehow so it does not inerfere with the face plate of the extruder. A small piece of angle aluminum or aluminum strip 1/8" thick with a couple holes drilled through should work fine.
- The heatsink and fan will now mount only to the cold block. You will need small M3 nuts for the back side of the cold block to hold the heatsink against the cold block. Install this stuff first because once the extruder and motor is mounted its hard to reach in there and keep the nuts from spinning.
- The extruder should come with some 4mm OD PTFE tubing. You will need about 24mm of this to go through the 4mm hole through the extruder bracket plate. This helps guide the filament to the hot end.
- You will need some longer bolts for the bearing block. The bracket mounts at the top two bolts for the X carriage bearings. The bracket adds thickness there, necessitating the longer bolts.
- A little bit of Z height and X axis length is lost due to the BMG extruder being slightly taller and wider.