What do you do when lockdown prevents you from going to the store to buy a new Christmas tree topper? You design and print your own, of course! Well, that's what we did!
In fact, we are so pleased with how it came out, we printed several and we are sharing the files so that you can print one too!
This fully customizable star can be adjusted for Christmas trees of any size. Choose the size and shape of your star, the number of points and whether to print it as a whole or in two halves.
This design is completely free and shared under a permissive license. Your support is hugely appreciated.
Did you know?
Some of our designs cannot be found on MyMiniFactory. If you are looking for more, check out our premium projects:
OpenSCAD Customizer Options
This design has the following Customizer options:
- `Star_Diameter` - The overall diameter of the star
- `Star_Thickness` - The overall thickness of the star minus Middle_Extrusion
- `Middle_Extrusion` - Adds a flat section to the middle of the star which can improve support adhesion
- `Points` - The number of points
- `Inner_Point_Diameter_Percent` - The diameter of the inner points as a percentage of the outer points
- `Material_Thickness` - Thickness of the material
- `Mount_Hole_Diameter` - The diameter at the bottom of the mount hole
- `Half` - Cut star in half (will also rotate for printing)
- We recommend creating a 'whole' star (`Half` set to `false`) if possible.
- If creating a 'whole' star (`Half` set to `false`), we recommend using 'Tree supports' (in Cura - other slicers may use another name for this feature). To help with adhesion, we recommend using a `Middle_Extrusion` value of at least 3-5.
- If creating a 'half' star (`Half` set to `true`) you will need to glue the halves together. Consider using a `Material_Thickness` of 3-5 to ensure enough surface area for the glue.
If you wish to illuminate the star:
- We recommend using a clear or light filament.
- Use a low `Material_Thickness` value to help the light pass through.
- If using a clear filament, you can use a low infill (10 - 20%) and different infill patterns to add texture.
- Ensure your star is wide enough for lights to be inserted by adjusting the `Star_Thickness` and `Middle_Extrusion` values.
- A 'whole' star (`Half` set to `false`) can be illuminated by inserting the last few of your Christmas tree lights. Ensure the `Mount_Hole_Diameter` value is large enough to allow your lights to be inserted.
- You could create a 'half' star (`Half` set to `true`) and install custom lighting, such as by hot glueing some LEDs inside the star.
Rendering can be slow, so we've provided some STL exports of all the presets.
If you render and export your own design, you may see the following warnings, which can be safely ignored:
Object may not be a valid 2-manifold and may need repair!
- 1.0 (25 Nov 2020) - Initial version
Recommended slicer settings:
- Resolution: 0.1mm - 0.2mm
- Infill: 10 - 20% should suffice, but could be up to 100%.
- Supports: Yes
- Whole star: If using Cura we recommend using the [Tree supports](https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012614559-Experimental-settings) option and adding a 'Brim' to help the Tree supports adhere to your print bed
- Half star: Regular supports should be fine
- Rafts: Doesn't matter
The "Christmas Tree Star Topper" models (.stl) are licensed under the CC BY license by Code and Make.
The "Christmas Tree Star Topper" code (.scad) is licensed under The MIT License by Code and Make.
Please note: The CC-BY license has been selected on MyMiniFactory because MyMiniFactory's list of licenses does not include MIT.
We are proud to offer content to you absolutely free.
We love to create free content for you. As you might imagine, it takes a lot of time. Supporters help us fund materials and equipment to create future projects and tutorials. To show your appreciation, please use the link below:
We thank you so much for your support!