recommended slicing software: Cura
HOW IT'S MADE:
Designed this cracked flower pot using multiple 3d programs:
In 3ds Max I modeled the basic forms like the pieces of the pot, the forming of the roots around the pieces and a cell so that everything will stay together and so the pot can still hold water.
To make sure the pieces of the pot and the shell were solid I used Dynamesh in Zbrush.
The details on the roots I did by sculpting in Mudbox. After that I brought the detailed roots back to max together with the pot from Zbrush so I could export it for Slicing in Cura.
The Print that is showed in the pictures was printed on a Ultimaker2 at 0.2mm layerhight ABS. After around 13 hours the print was done.
Before painting I done some sanding and used XTC-3D to smooth out the seems. I could also use accitone but that was more unstable and tricky to get a good result.
Painting i did in about 3 staps:
First I painted an base color with airbrush, in this case i used gray. The next layer was the flat coloring with airbrush of pot and the roots with paint a brush.
At last I used lightly the airbrush for accentuating the details and a little bit of ambient occlusion.