Recently my friend tasked/challenged me to make some models of local monuments since none exist online and I fell for it. So anyways I am busy making these structural models as best as I know how (I am a hobbyist designer not professional still...) so I have been busy with those. Anyways, I just saw that the models of the Ladies that I have posted are getting a lot of attention so I decided to try an experiment with separating hard to print and/or Fix parts (Hair mainly) so that I can maybe try my hand at creating more models of the "People" category. So here was the test I took a hair model for a scavenger (or hunter or rogue , whatever... its kind of like a mohawk thing.. sorry i don't know what this hairstyle is called..) that I had and decided to convert and fix the model for 3d Printing. Well it was kind of a head ache but I got it fixed and error free leaving only the print test part.
Obviously to my surprise ... IT PRINTED!!!!!!! Printed Well in-fact, just needed smart support but a lot of it and proper orientation. Now I needed some model to fit the hair to but I made a mistake of not fitting the hair to any head/person model during the design phase. I had no idea of what scale to use or how to align the models ... still I took this model of an elf and sliced away most of the body to just leave the head and have enough clearance for the hair to not make the model seem like it is floating in air.
So THIS is what I wound up with.... I did try to match, resize and align the models as well as I could and printed the elf bust but seems I was off in my assumptions as the hair does not properly fit.
Anyways here is the model for you guys to test and play with to maybe get something good made, do share your results or makes if you decide to test this. Rest assured this model is error free and totally printable just Not properly ... 'fittable'. I will conduct more tests on this concept soon as it was kind of promising, just need to complete my friend's challenge 1st :D
Good Luck :)