TitleCIIC 119. Monataggart II Monument, Co.Cork
Dimensions0.91 x 0.39 x 0.11 metres
Accession #National Monuments Service Record Number - CO061-022003
Possible souterrain of 'about eighteen feet in length, five feet in width and five in depth ...... at the end of which were some wood ashes and the appearance of a small flue' (Quarry 1896, 382).
1 of 4 Ogam stones re-used in the construction of underground chambers (possible souterrain and possible long cist burial) at this site. 1 of 2 'upright stones' in souterrain (Quarry 1896, 382). Clayslate, broken in two, 0.91m x 0.39m x 0.11m (converted fromMacalister 1945, 118). In October 2011 Kaaren Moffat, a UCC PhD student researching ogham stones, re-discovered yet another fragment from this stone. Macalister had only noted 2 fragments but, after checking the measurements of the fragments against Macalister's measurements, Kaaren realised that the third piece had broken away after Macalister had surveyed it. The third fragment is in fact the back of the top half and has the missing ends of the consonant scores (MQD). It has now been scanned and will shortly be added to the 3D model.
Up on one angle. 'The first name is repeated in minute pinscrapes underneath its formal presentation in the finished inscription: presumably the lapidary's memorandum of the name which he had been commissioned to carve'(Macalister 1945, 119).
DALAGNI MAQI DALI
'Of Dallán son of Dall'
This is one of the inscriptions listed by McManus (1991, 93-4) to be among the earliest in the corpus showing no trace of vowel affection. It may be dated to the first half, or the early second half, of the fifth century(McManus 1991, 97).
Dall 'blind' and diminutive suffix -agni (>-an(n), Dallán), cp. 230. Cloghanecarhane, Kerry D[...]A[.C.] AVI DALAGNI [MAQI C ...]) in an unidentified gentilic name (McManus 1991, 112).
McManus (1991, p 112) notes this inscription as an example of the repetition of an element of the father's name in the son's.
In possible souterrain with 2 other Ogam stones (4th: 118. in possible long cist) in the townland of Monataggart, parish of Donoughmore, barony of East Muskerry. The original location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service public map viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates -8.787796,51.976513)
National Museum of Ireland, Dublin. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service public map viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates -6.254558,53.340408)
History of Recording
Found in 1872 by Mr. Patrick Cogan (Brash/Quarry)
Brash, R.R. (1879): The Ogam inscribed monuments of the Gaedhilin the British Isles. London, pp 160-3.
Macalister, R.A.S. (1945): Corpus inscriptionum insularum Celticarum, p 116, pp 118-9.
McManus, D. (1991): A guide to Ogam. Maynooth Monographs 4, pp 65, 94, 107, 112.
Power, D. et al (1997): Archaeological Inventory of County Cork. Volume 3: Mid Cork. Dublin, pp 169-70.
Quarry, J. (1896): 'Prehistoric remains still remaining in the parish of Donoughmore', JCHAS 2, pp 381-5, p. 382.
Websites and Online Databases
Gippert, J. (1997): Thesaurus Indogermanischer Text-und Sprachmateriale. Ogam-Inschriften. University of Frankfurt: titus.uni-frankfurt.de/ogam/
CISP (Celtic Inscribed Stones Project):www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/cisp/database/
ham stones are among Ireland's most remarkable national treasures. These perpendicular cut stones bear inscriptions in the uniquely Irish Ogham alphabet, using a system of notches and horizontal or diagonal lines/scores to represent the sounds of an early form of the Irish language. The stones are inscribed with the names of prominent people and sometimes tribal affiliation or geographical areas. These inscriptions constitute the earliest recorded form of Irish and, as our earliest written records dating back at least as far as the 5th century AD, are a significant resource for historians, as well as linguists and archaeologists.