Fly RasPi camera! Fly!
This is quite an advanced and yet cheap solution for aerial photography with Tarot T2D gimbals.
Due to the infinite functionalities which could be implemented this is a work in progress by definition.
But right now it has many functions operational, mainly targeted to aerial Near infrared Photograpy.
It has battery for atonomous operation and look! its even lighter than a Gopro! (66g instead of 80g)!
Even FPVing using the Raspi video out jack should be a breeze! (I have not yet tested this feature).
My original target was interfacing a Raspberry Pi 1 Model A+ with Noir camera to the Phantom 2 Gimbal HD3D
Unfortunately this had been a failure as the DJI Jimbal is developed on purpose for the GoPro3. Even if a bit lighter, I couldn't optimize the camera's balancing (barycenter) enough to get it working.
So I shifted to the IRIS with the Tarot 2D which has much more power (and it's quite heavier as a downside) and has a very smart controller (the Pixhawk) with many cute Output pins!!!
The Raspi camera in its actual configuration has the following functions:
- battery for autonomous operation (can be used also as an independent point and shoot camera)
- one on/off switch to turn off the power.
- one switch between timelapse autonomous shooting and single shots
- 1 button to take single shots
- single shots can be activared also directly from one of the Pixhawk output PIN set for relay operation (see brown + yellow wires)
- 1 button to shut down safely the Pi.
- blue filter holder for near-infrared photography
- protective cap for lens and filter
- AV out should be available for FPV (not yet checked)
Iris' Pixhawk can activate the Raspi camera shutter directly using MissionPlanner hence it will let you plan aerial photography very effectively.
- Raspberry Pi 1 Model A+ 23.75 €
- Raspberry NoIR camera 29.99€
- Adafruit PowerBoost 500 Basic - 5V USB Boost @ 500mA from 1.8V+ 10.95 €
- -Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 500mAh 7.95 $
- -2xTactile Switch Buttons (6mm slim) x 20 pack 0.5$
- -1xBreadboard-friendly SPDT Slide Switch 0.95$
Total approx 75 € VAT included
If you download it please LIKE IT!