The artist had the desire in the space to caress a large polished convex shape, whose width and height are determined by a semi-circle described by a sweeping gesture with both arms. On the basis of a small preparatory drawing, Ghermandi worked out this work, either directly in the foundry with a total of five units. Afterwards he made several drawings, some small and a large version (250 x 330 x 100 cm.) In bronze of this image.The first version is in Middelheim.
Quinto Ghermandi came from a peasant family and discovered early his interest in sculpture. He began as a child, playful ceramics to create, he made clay formed and in an oven from oven stones burned his family. He began his education at the Liceo Artistico in Bologna at Cleto Tomba (1898-1987) and later at the Scuola di Ercole Drei and last at the Accademia di Belle Arti di Roma with completion 1940th. After the Second World War and four years of British captivity in North Africa, where he intensively on British magazines with the art of Pablo Picasso and Henry Moore employed, he started small sculptures to shape ceramic. In the 1950s, he began with abstract sculptures made of welded metal. He was invited to participate at the Venice Biennale invited 1952nd This was followed by large bronze sculptures, 1958, he designed so animal figures for a park in Bologna and won in the same year so that the price of Bologna. The following year, he was awarded the prize for sculpture in Carrara and won, along with Lynn Chadwick, an international competition for bronze sculptures in Padua. It was represented at that time at all the major events of national and international art.
He participated in the biennals of Venice in 1960 and 1966, and the Rome Quadriennale 1965th During the 1960s he had more solo exhibitions and participation in major sculpture exhibitions in Europe, the USA, Japan,Brazil, New Zealand, the Iran and Egypt. In 1964 works by him were on the documenta III in Kassel in the Department of Sculpture shown. In 1967 and 1969 he won the prize for sculpture at Il Fiorino d'Oro in Florence. His works are part of public and private collections in Europe, particularly in Scandinavia, the United States and in Latin America. He created numerous public monuments and fountains around the world. Quinto Ghermandi was professor of sculpture at the Accademia di Belle Arti, first in Florence and then inBologna; 1981-1984 he held the post of Director. He was married to the painter Romana Spinelli.
(Credit; Wikipedia, Museums and Heritage Atwerp)
This object is part of "Scan The World". Scan the World is a non-profit initiative introduced by MyMiniFactory, through which we are creating a digital archive of fully 3D printable sculptures, artworks and landmarks from across the globe for the public to access for free. Scan the World is an open source, community effort, if you have interesting items around you and would like to contribute, email email@example.com to find out how you can help.
Scanned : Photogrammetry (Processed using Agisoft PhotoScan)