I was looking for a low cost solution to keep track of my cats when I take them outside. The Tile Mate was a great solution as bluetooth covers the ranges that they travel and with Tile's crowdsourced loss prevention, this made it a viable option. The cost is affordable and you don’t need to pay for their premium service if you do not need the features it provides. The Tile Mate has a relatively small form factor and the replaceable CR1632 battery is a huge plus (with BLE, the battery life on these things is pretty insane).
The design requirements were as follows:
- No modifications to the Tile itself to allow easy replacement.
- No modifications to the collars like un-sewing or removing the buckles.
- Provide access to the battery for easy replacement.
- Provide access to the face button and speaker holes on the back.
- Simple assembly with sturdy attachment to ensure it stays on.
- No dangling or protruding shapes to prevent snagging.
- Rounded corners and edges for max comfort.
- Durability and 3D printability.
With these requirements in mind, I settled on a two part assembly that clamps around the Tile and collar, and is held together with a single M4 screw.
This was designed for a 10mm strap collar but if there is enough intrest, I can modify the design to support other sizes!
Check out the full project writeup on my website!