If you want to support me and get GREAT filament at the same time, please visit Proto-Pasta using my affiliate link and get yourself some excellent HTPLA! If you enjoy my models, please consider leaving a tip!
Probing New Possibilities of Spinning Technology!
Did you get your Alien3D UFO Box? Have you got 25 pennies? I know you got those two bearings!
Then all you have to do to bring the Alien Invasion into your own home is download these files and GET PRINTING!
This spinner can be printed with, or without, the pennies. However, to really make this "fly"* add a pause to your G-code to allow you place 25 pennies inside your saucer to give it some serious weight!
Assembly is easy! Clearances are tight, however, so you will want to print on a printer that is well calibrated and some gentle persuasion may be needed to get all the parts together. Rest assured, it CAN be done and the results are fun. (A PDF of instructions is included when you download the model!)
ONE WEIRD TRICK for better spinning!
If your bearings are lubricated with grease, that can slow spinning action. Before installing your bearings, test them - if they don't spin for more than a second, try this for a better spin:
- Remove any shields from the sides of the bearing if they exist. You should see the ball bearings and bearing cage exposed once you do this. Do not remove the ball cage.
- Fill a shot glass or similar small glass container with isopropyl alcohol.
- Soak the bearings in the alcohol overnight
- Remove the bearings from the isopropyl alcohol and allow to completely dry on a paper towel
- Add a small amount of light machine oil to each bearing
Following this process you will likely find your bearing will spin considerably better. I have made spinners with inexpensive bearings spin for 2 minutes or more!
Let's see what you can do! All Alien recruits, report for duty!
*Please note: this toy does not literally fly. However, it can spin very, very well if you do it right.