I've just finished the assembly and I must say this was a super fun to do from the beginning to the end.
It took ~2 weeks because I built it with my 3yo son who was utterly thrilled (it looked like 3steps forward and 2 steps back at every stage :) ).
I think he loved the journey more then the result. Result is fantastic despite the fact that I had a minimal 3D printing experience prior this one. The guide is well written so it could be printed easily (PLA, Prusa Slicer, Cura + Prusa i3 mk3)
I have a few comments to the assembly guide:
- 2x 10mm 1.5mm pins are missing in part list (pins for 35_Hour_Transmission_Bracket)
- 1x 22mm 1.5mm pin is missing in part list (main spring pin)
- I not sure why there are 14 1.5mm washers (6 for Guide Gears + 1 for tourbillon so 7 should be enough)
- I'll have to add some screws to the balance wheel because the tourbillon is too quick and jams after few seconds of running. It would be handy to add holes to the design (stl) of the balance wheel
- I faced an issue in Prusa Slicer for 48_Display_Stand_Post. It could not place the part flat on the bed properly. This was mainly issue in Prusa slicer which could be solved by using Cura.
- I faced a lot of stringing on gears (PLA, between gears). It was caused by some Prusa Slicer setting because it printed inner part of the tooth and then transitioned to next tooth which made a lot of mess and basically the gear were spoiled. Cura morelike standard settings gcode was fine and produced very nice gears with no stringing and a lot faster than Prusa Slicer with stantart settings + 3 perimeters.
- because of my lack of experience in 3D printing my biggest hesitation was the fact that the 10_base part was bigger than the printing bed. But my initial thought was I’m going to print it bigger anyway so there will be some splitting for sure. Finally printed it 1:1 and split in the lower part to avoid any functional parts which worked great and a superglue holds it perfectly together.