This is my take on the DNA Lamp design based on the idea of João Duarte's design. Of course all credits goes to the original creator as this is an inspiration rather than my own idea.
Ever since i saw it on google i wanted to make it myself but after checking the instructables page i changed my mind since it was a little bit outdated in terms of components and convenience. The main downside of that design was the use of mains voltage to power the motor and everything which is not the safer way.
So i went ahead and design my own using 5~12V DC as a power source which will power the wemos d1 as the microcontroller making this project a lot easier and safer to build. Also, i replaced the motor with a small 5V stepper motor which it's rpms can be controlled by the wemos d1. The only thing that i couldn't get to work was the UV Lights since there are no addressable leds out yet so unfortunately i used the classic RGB leds to illuminate the DNA sculpture and only at the bottom for easier assembly.
The project comes with a pre-made Blynk app with which you can control the RGB ring colors and brightness as well as the speed of the motor.
NOTE: I haven't tested the printability of the parts since i don't have a 3D printer nearby for a long time, hence the project has no real build images. But it's well designed based on real dimensions of the parts used in the projects for maximum compatibility.
- Wemos D1 Mini v3 (Aliexpress.com).
- WS2812B 32led Ring (Aliexpress.com).
- 5V Stepper Motor (Aliexpress.com).
- Power supply with at least 2A output to power the led ring.
- LM2596 step down converter (Aliexpress.com).
- DC Jack 5.5x2.1mm (Aliexpress.com).
- Rocker switch (Aliexpress.com).
- Acrylic clear tube with OD/ID 130/124mm (Ebay.com).
- (OPTIONAL) Rubber feet (Aliexpress.com).
- Some wires to connect everything based on schematics.
- 2xM2 5~6mm screws for mounting the Wemos D1.
- 4xM2.5 5~6mm screws for mounting the stepper motor driver.
- 4xM3 5~6mm screws for mounting the LM2596 and stepper motor.
- Choose the white PCB of the wing for maximum blend if you are printing the DNA_stand and DNA_plate in white color.
- Only buy the step down converter if you have a power supply with higher voltage than 5V. Choose the red one as it is the one i have and tested.
Download Arduino IDE sketch file.
Please follow the instructions, for uploading the code to the Wemos D1, provided by 3D Maker Noob in his lithophane game of thrones video.
You can also follow the wiring process as well if it's too hard to follow the steps below.
- STEP 1: Take the DNA_stepper_mount and use two M3 5~6mm screws to fix it to the DNA_stand.
- STEP 2: Take the RGB ring and desolder only the female JST header as we will use later on for the wemos. Make sure to leave the male JST header intact and connected to +5V, GND and Input.
- STEP 3: Take the DNA_plate and glue the RGB ring making sure is well centered and the wires coming from the ring are facing towards the gap.
- STEP 4: Push the rocker switch in the hole on the back making sure the tab is facing up. Then solder two wires to the pins.
- STEP 5: Solder two wires to the dc jack and then push the dc jack in the slot. If it too loose apply some hot glue to keep it in place.
- STEP 6: Solder two wires to the 5V and GND pins of the ULN2003 driver. Also solder four wires to the first four inputs of the driver (IN1-IN4).
- STEP 7: Mount the LM2596, the Wemos D1, Stepper motor and the Driver to their mounting locations using the screws mentioned above.
- STEP 8a: Using 6~12V and LM2596
- STEP 1: Solder one wire coming from the rocker switch to the negative pin of the dc jack and the other wire to the negative input of the LM2596.
- STEP 2: Solder the positive wire of the dc jack to the positive input of the LM2596.
- STEP 3: Solder two wires to the 5V and GND pins of the Wemos D1.
- STEP 4: Take the 5V wires of the Wemos, RGB ring and Driver and solder them to the positive output of LM2596.
- STEP 5: Do the same for the GND wires as well but connect them to the negative output of the LM2596.
- STEP 8b: Using 5V and not LM2596
- STEP 1: Solder one wire coming from the rocker switch to the Wemos GND pin.
- STEP 2: Solder the positive wire of the dc jack to the Wemos 5V pin.
- STEP 3: Solder the 5V wire from the RGB ring and Driver to the 5V pin of the Wemos.
- STEP 4: Solder the GND wire from the led strip to the GND pin of the Wemos.
- STEP 9: Solder the data wire from the RGB ring to D2 pin of Wemos.
- STEP 10: Solder the four inputs of the Driver to the D5-D8 pins of the Wemos.
- STEP 11: Connect the stepper motor to the Driver.
- STEP 12: Attach the DNA_plate to the Base. No need for wires as it is snap-fit.
- STEP 13: Push the DNA_stand with the DNA_stepper_mount to the stepper motor shaft.
- STEP 14: Attach the acrylic tube to the base and make sure it is push all the way down.
- STEP 15: Take the Top and push it on the acrylic tube to close the upper part of the tube.
- STEP 16: Plug the power and turn the switch. Follow the steps in 3D Maker Noobs video to configure the Blynk app.
- STEP 17: Enjoy your this new DNA spinning lamp!!