Hello! My name is Palii Alexandru, im studying mechanical engineering in Romania, and this is my work from past 2 years. In this contest i will present the Version 2 2019 of the myoelectric prosthetic hand device, but i want to show some of my past work on my first myoelectric hand device.
Myoelectric prosthetic hand device-V1 2018 (8 months of work)
Myoelectric prosthetic hand device-V2 2019 (6 months of work)
3D Printed-Tested Working mechanism demonstration of Version 2.
The price for the electronics, torsion springs, shaft, potentiometer, arduino, is around 80$ + myoelectric sensor 40-50$
In the video you will see that the finger is a bit slow, but this is not a problem, because i can change it to a faster motor, that can increase the speed by 3.5 times.
Achievements to the project:
- Creating a liniar actuator with a screw motor that provide a great force that can hold 7kg with no problem. Using a H-bridge microcip(potentiometer-picture) that i took from a sg90 servo, and conecting it with a liniar potentiometer to work like a position sensor.
- All the mechanism is inside of the palm.
- Human size prosthetic hand.
- Creating of a torsion spring mechanism for the fingers for a smooth and precise movement
- Amp consumtion: aprox. 1.2 Amps on full load.
- Easy to understand and build
- Cheap to make it
- All components can be easy to found on internet
All the work for this project is made by me alone, from mechanical solution to design, electronics and C++ programing.
I do not own a 3d printer, the investment that i did is around 700$, most of the money was spend on 3d printing parts to test the thickness of some components and improving them.
Answers for the Judging Criteria:
Impact: This project can be a alternative option for people in need. The cost of a prosthetic hand can go from 10.000$ to 120.000$, and from my reaserch, none of them can recreate a realistic human movement.
Feasibility: The project can be achieved because all the mechanical and electrical components can be buy at a very low cost.
Research: This project was made by reasearching high cost Prosthetic devices. The biggest improvement in this project is the liniar actuator that i create, an actuator with a great precision of movement a good torque, a mechanism that can hold a good weight.
If you want to help to improve this project, please contact me on message.
Leave a like if you like it :)
Leave a comment if you want to know more about this project, or you have a constructive opinion.